Thursday, April 18, 2013

Paint Problems

One of the projects we tackled in our new house was repainting it. ALL of it. Every single room and even the closets. That's a LOT of paint. Luckily we budgeted for our favorite contractor, Daniel, to handle it for us. All I had to do was pick the colors from Sherwin Williams and he would take care of the rest. Have I mentioned Daniel before? I heart him.

We have painted our last 2 houses in the same color scheme and we were really happy with it. But, being the typical woman that I am, I was kind of tired of the same colors. I decided I was ready to switch from a warm color palette to a cool color palette. Seems easy, right?

So I went to our local Sherwin Williams and the guy at the counter gave me this HUGE color deck.




I immediately started looking through the colors and tagging the ones I thought would work. I consulted friends and anyone else who would look with me and offer an opinion. I think I took that deck with me everywhere I went for a month. I went back and forth on so many colors, I just couldn't decide. But I was determined to pick different colors than I've used before.

When the time came for Daniel to start painting, I was still undecided on colors so I bought close to 10 sample quarts of different colors. My friend Julie and I painted sections all over the new house in an effort to narrow down the paint choices. I quickly zoned in on an overall color for the house -- it's called Amazing Gray and it's a gray/beige/taupe color that looked great. As Daniel started painting the Amazing Gray in various parts of the house, I was so happy with it. Thank goodness it looked good!

But as I tried to pick different colors for the various rooms of the house that complemented the overall color I already picked, I just couldn't decide. I purchased even more paint quarts and painted section after section everywhere. Every room had so many paint colors on the wall. I was getting SO tired of the pressure of picking the "perfect" colors, and I was just ready to be done with the decisions. I gave Daniel a list of the colors I thought would work, and hoped they would work.






Unfortunately, as Daniel put one of the colors on the walls, I didn't like it at all. I gave him another list of colors, and I didn't like those either. I was getting seriously stressed. And if you can't tell from the pictures, I am really into everything blue these days. Blue/aqua/turquoise, you name it. I was inspired by this picture on Pinterest and was determined to get that color in my house somewhere.




Unfortunately, this color does NOT go with the other colors in my house, and I had to find out the hard way. By the time I realized how terrible it looked, Daniel had painted 4 rooms with it. It didn't look so bad on its own, but trust me when I tell you it looked horrible with the rest of the house colors.





When I realized how bad my mistake was and how much it was going to cost to fix it, I was so distraught. I called Jeff sobbing and apologizing over and over. (I may have been a little overemotional due to all the stress I've been dealing with lately. Just saying.)

In the end, I had a decorator friend of a friend come over and talk through some colors with me, and I decided to repaint the "Easter egg green" rooms with a more soothing blue color (one of my original favorites, I might add). I love the final result -- exactly the cool palette I was going for. I am SO thankful the paint problems are OVER!!

Here's a sneak peak:




4 comments:

  1. ah yes, the joy of painting! new house looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color!! I can totally relate about the paint color dilemma. I am not in love with the color I ended up picking but it works fine. It is almost impossible to know for sure until its all done. I love the kitchen and floors in your new house. I cannot wait to see the final product. I am hoping you are settles in soon so that you can stop the long commutes everyday.

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! It looks so good Lauri! I remember how stressful that was. I had to get a professional to help me too. It's just a huge decision and you really want to get it right! I love those colors you ended up with. I bet it feels so fresh to have something different. I love the kitchen too. Can't wait to see more pictures! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Choosing colors is hard. And, wanting something that won't work in your house is even harder (voice of experience speaking here)! Looks great. Glad you are through this part of the journey!! =D

    ReplyDelete