Monday, June 25, 2007

Curls Curls Curls

You were born with a head full of hair (much to my surprise – although I don’t know why I was surprised since both Dad and I had hair at birth) that was brown and extremely soft. I was thrilled with your hair because I have always loved the feel of soft, new hair on a baby. In the beginning your hair was brown, and although you didn’t have much new hair growth for many months, we all noticed how it began to lighten up significantly over time. By Christmas time (when you were 8 months old) your hair was light blond just like your cousin Makenna’s.

Around age 10 months or so, your hair really started growing in at a rapid rate. It was still light blond, and we noticed that it began to look wavy as it grew thicker. By the time you turned 1, your hair was looking so curly! Of course, I thought it was so cute and refused to cut off your precious curls. When you would go outside during the summer humidity, your cheeks would get so pink and your hair became so curly that it looked kinky like a perm! (I guess you inherited my hair, because mine still does that all the time.) Your dad and brothers, and especially your MeMe, couldn’t believe how curly it was. The comments made by strangers that noticed you in public places went from “Look at those beautiful blue eyes!” or “What a happy baby he is!” to “Wow, he’s got such gorgeous curls!”

Around age 14 months, your Dad (and Grand Daddy) was getting frustrated that I wouldn’t cut your hair. They thought you looked a little girly. I finally decided I would be OK with getting your haircut. But the night before we were going to get it cut, you and I went to your buddy Jack’s birthday party (son of Kevin and Jennifer Ward). We were visiting with some of the partygoers outside, and sure enough, your hair started to curl from the humidity. Jack’s dad, Kevin, noticed your curls and began to exclaim how precious they were. He along with many others were shocked that we would consider cutting off the curls. So, of course, that made up my mind – I again refused to cut your hair.

I admit even now (you are 15 months) that your hair looks a little unkempt on most days, especially when it flies out over your ears. But as long as it’s not in your eyes, we can always comb it over and keep those lovely curls at the end. Who knows when I’ll take the plunge and agree to a haircut? Your Dad says that you’ll grow up and see pictures and resent me for not cutting it sooner. Your Uncle Ben says that you’ll be a “double threat” with those big blue eyes and curly hair. Your MeMe says that you’ll never look the same after your first haircut. But I’ve realized that the honest truth is your haircut will make you look like the big boy and toddler that you’ve become, and you’ll no longer be my baby.











No comments:

Post a Comment