Saturday, July 15, 2006

First Experiences

I remember your first smile vividly. You were about 5 weeks old and you had just finished a full bottle of Mommy’s milk. I could tell you were in a happy mood because you had a very pleasant look on your face. I was holding you on the couch and looking down at you with a smile. Suddenly, the corners of your lips turned upward and I witnessed your very first genuine smile. It was so sweet and endearing that my eyes filled with tears, and the first thing I did (after telling you how much I loved your smile) was call your Dad to tell him the news. I was crying tears of joy and he was excited (although sad to miss it, of course). It is a moment forever etched in my memory.




During my maternity leave, we were lucky enough to get tickets to a Houston Astros game -- your first at only 2 months old. I remember that we had received an Astros onesie in size 9 months, and I was shocked that it already fit you at 2 months old. Goes to show what a big boy you were! We sat with your Dad's co-workers who all oo'ed and ah'ed over you. You were such a great baby, just hanging out in our arms quietly and taking it all in. At one point, a foul ball was popped high in the air and started coming right for us in the stands. Your Dad was holding you and was caught off guard; otherwise he would've caught the ball! I, of course, was terrified that you were going to be hit by the ball. It landed right behind our row!







Another first you experienced was your first Houston Texans commercial shoot! You were about 8 weeks old and your Dad and brothers were invited to participate in the 2006 "I'm a Texan!" campaign. We all dressed up in our best Texans gear -- you in your Texans jersey onesie -- and filmed various spots saying "I'm a Texan!" Your clips didn't make the final cut (only Collin's did) but it was definitely a fun day!






One weekend when you were 6-8 weeks old, your Dad and I decided to take you on your first swim. We got you all dressed in your swim diaper and swimsuit and then we went to the pool at the apartment complex across the street (our neighborhood at the time didn't have a pool). We were only there for about 30 minutes before the sky clouded up and it started to thunder, but it was still a fun first for all of us.






I ended up taking a total of 13 weeks off from work while I stayed at home with you. It was a time I relished and hated to end. During those weeks, you experienced many “firsts” that I tried to capture in your baby book (although I admit that I have no idea where that book is now).

No comments:

Post a Comment