Monday, January 22, 2024

And So It Begins

Toward the end of the summer, I began getting all kinds of emails regarding the upcoming school year as a parent of a Class of 2024 student. The countdown was on for Connor's senior year, and it just seemed so unreal! 

I can remember way back when Connor was in elementary school when I realized that he would graduate in 2024. I recall thinking it was a cool-sounding graduation year and exactly 30 years apart from my own in 1994. Of course, at the time it felt so far away and an impossibility to imagine. And yet, here we are.

As the emails and announcements for "Senior Parents" began rolling in, I had to accept that the final year of Connor's high school was upon us. I felt such mixed emotions about it, perhaps bittersweet? But the word "bittersweet" seems so inadequate to describe the incredulous-and-anxious-yet-proud-with-excitement type of emotions that were swirling through my mind. I honestly didn't know what to expect with the busy and full year ahead, but Connor's senior year was upon us and there was no stopping now!

First up for senior year activities was the official senior yearbook photo session up at his high school. Gosh, do they know how to punch us parents in the gut with this first big milestone with our seniors! We had no idea what we were doing, but we entered the gym and were whisked from station to station as Connor was dressed and groomed for his senior portraits in the 2023-24 yearbook. After years of looking through the kids' yearbooks and admiring the classic dress and pose of the seniors, I could hardly believe that MY kid was now one of those seniors. Seeing Connor neatly posed and smiling in front of that yearbook backdrop was definitely a shock to my system! 










I should probably pause here to take a moment and mention this kid's hair. Goodness! I hardly know what to say except that apparently this is the "in" style at the moment? Connor couldn't care less about his hair and NEVER styles it whatsoever, so I guess it's a good thing that the messy, flipped up hairstyle is what the guys are wearing these days. He showed up for these pictures in dire need of a haircut and with the Texas heat and humidity in full swing. Looking back at these photos, all I can do is shake my head! When I showed Connor the pictures, his comment was, "that's a lot of hair." Ha!







As we worked our way through the photo stations, Connor had less patience with each minute that passed. He was mostly a good sport about it, but some of the poses and settings were completely out of his comfort zone. I snapped some pics to capture the moment as I chuckled to myself at his misery. For once it wasn't ME making him pose for photos, ha!










As we wrapped up the quick session, I felt like I was in a fog of disbelief that this was actually happening. How could my BABY - this kid that made me a mother - be entering his final year of high school? As for Connor, he was taking it all in stride and seemed excited (and maybe a little nervous) about what was to come.




As for the senior photos? Well, they turned out fantastic! I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw this baby of mine looking so grown up and mature. Connor's senior year was officially underway! And so it begins... 













No comments:

Post a Comment