Monday, October 19, 2020

Me Lately

I'm usually the sucker behind the camera and not in front of it, and therefore I'm not often writing blog stories about myself. I figured I'd make an exception since I've been quite busy lately and adjusting to many changes along with the rest of the world. 

After years of ongoing dental work and lingering issues with my teeth, I finally bit the bullet this fall and began a year-long process to straighten my teeth with Invisalign. Multiple dentists both here and in Dubai had recommended this treatment option for me in order to prevent future problems from my poor alignment. After getting 2 new crowns (again) in August, I figured the time had come to pursue the longer term solution. I started Invisalign in August and have to wear the trays for 22 hours every day. Each weekly tray is slightly adjusting my teeth little by little. The goal is to have perfect alignment in a year or so, which will hopefully help me avoid major dental work at the rapid rate I've been experiencing the past few years. It's nice that the aligners aren't that obvious to others - especially when wearing masks outside of the home all the time now - but I'm definitely struggling with the new lisp when I talk as well as the constant effort to keep my teeth clean when I eat.




Another big change I've experienced lately is a new project I've started at work. With very little notice, I began traveling out of state to support some urgent project requirements on a new assignment, and I'm now on a schedule that requires traveling most weeks of the month. It was a rough start for me to jump into something totally new with little background, but I'm finally starting to find my place and add value with my project team. My experience with travel amidst the ongoing pandemic has been interesting to say the least. The mask-wearing is quite the beating, but I have been surprised to find the airports and planes quite full these days.





Mask-wearing, social distancing, and temperature-checking are all the new norms in the workplace these days. It continues to be quite the adjustment to work amidst the restrictions imposed from the pandemic. Whether it's making sure to wear a mask even for a quick trip to the hotel lobby or projecting your voice loud enough to make sure others can hear you underneath the mask, it seems you can't escape the constant changes we're subjected to. I have been so thankful to have new project friends to help navigate our "new normal" way of working.








My assignment isn't expected to last longer than 6 months, but it has been tough to adjust to my new schedule. Jeff has stepped up tremendously in the stay-at-home-dad role, managing the chaotic school schedule and shuttling the kids to and from their many daily and nightly activities in my absence. I have been surprised by how hard it is to be away from Jeff and the kids while I'm working, but it's definitely helping me appreciate my time with them so much more when I return home each week.





No comments:

Post a Comment