Sunday, April 12, 2015

Siblings

In the last couple of years, Connor and Kaitlynn reached the ages where they became typical siblings. What do I mean by that? Nothing major, just NONSTOP INCESSANT ARGUING ABOUT ANYTHING AND NOTHING AT ALL HOURS OF THE DAY. You know, that.

It actually takes me back to my childhood with 3 of my own siblings and how we used to do the exact same thing. I remember in particular the knockdown drag-out fights with my 18-months younger brother Jeb when we powered for control over the 1990 version of the ever-popular handheld entertainment device (a.k.a. the television remote).

On a good day, I can just sit back and tune it all out when I hear the arguing with the usual accompaniments of screaming, pushing, and objects hurling across the room as the fight rages on. On those days, I'm either drunk or just high on chocolate. (Kidding. But that's the only explanation for being able to tune it out, no?)

On most days, however, I hear the beginnings of the arguments and follow my usual routine. "Guys. Cut it out." Followed by, "GUYS! I said enough!" Which is inevitably followed by, "CONNOR AND KAITLYNN GO TO YOUR ROOMS!"

Needless to say, my kids spend about 95% of their free time in their rooms. Is that normal?

So imagine my surprise when I was recently dumping a bunch of photos from my phone onto my laptop and noticed what appeared to be smiles and happy times between said siblings. We're talking ACTUAL PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE of my kids getting along and (gasp) enjoying one another's company.


Here the siblings are working together on collecting pledges for their fundraiser. They appear to be in close proximity and getting along well enough to smile and "Peace Out."

Together and so happy! But let's not get ahead of ourselves...they had cupcakes. Cupcakes make everyone happy.

Enjoying a movie together. This is proof they can be in the same room (in the same row of seats!) for at least 2 hours without arguing. Well, they may have disagreed about the movie previews, but let's focus on the positive.

Playing their devices together. The photo doesn't show this but the younger one actually complimented the older on his Minecraft skills. I promise I'm not making this up.
 

Showing off their chosen selections for hat day at school. Look at the smiles! And they're actually standing in the same driveway without knocking one another over!

More electronic devices, this time while sharing the same couch AND the same blanket. Is this real life?

An actual hug. This isn't even Photoshopped!

No comments:

Post a Comment