Saturday, January 25, 2014

Dental Fail

Every mother has her faults. Admittedly, I have many. But I have known for a while that one of biggest faults was going to come back to haunt me in a major way if I didn't get my act together soon.

Sure enough, the day of reckoning arrived this month. At the dentist's office.

*Cue the horror film music*

Yes, I'm being overly dramatic. But it's confession time. My kids had their regular dental checkups at the dentist this month, and it was not a good report. Why? Because I was terribly deficient in overseeing my kids' dental hygiene. I almost always forget to remind them to brush. We never flossed. And even when I KNEW they weren't brushing or at least not brushing right, I didn't correct them. I'm not sure why this was such a chore for me, but when it came to my kids' teeth, I admit that I failed miserably!

The dental hygenist discovers the months (years) of abuse.


The one positive note from our visit: Kaitlynn was finally a BIG girl and handled her cleaning like a champ.

Well, NO MORE! After our visit this month and having to schedule additional visits to fix the problems our lack of hygiene created, I have turned over a new leaf. Now we have a new routine which requires Mom or Dad to brush and floss each kid's teeth every morning and every night after they first do it themselves. It is SUCH a chore! But at least now I can mark ONE fault off of my long list. ;-)


After our visit, they were all smiles vowing to take better care of their teeth.

4 comments:

  1. One of the things I love best about you is how easily you admit your areas of weakness. It makes you so "real." I love having you as a friend! And you have motivated me to be better about brushing/flossing with the kids too. I'm not always good about keeping up with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are just so busy, and that’s possibly the reason why you failed to remind your kids about taking good care of their teeth. It’s okay, though. At least you didn’t forget to bring them to their regular dental checkup. Maybe you should start teaching your kids to learn on their own, or you can also write their brushing schedule and post it in a part of your house as a reminder, like in the fridge. In any way, just treat the situation as a lesson learned. All the best! :)

    Shannon Barrett @ Best Care Dental Center

    ReplyDelete
  3. You shouldn't put all the blame on yourself. Maybe you are just prioritizing other things, that's why you had effortlessly disregarded your kids' oral hygiene. At least you are one to admit that you were insufficient regarding the matter. Anyway, it's good to know that you made an abrupt action for it and took them to the dentist. Thanks for sharing that, Lauri! May your new found oral hygiene consciousness continue on. All the best to your family!

    Weston Wadlington @ Peak Family Dentistry

    ReplyDelete
  4. You shouldn't put all the blame on yourself. Maybe you are just prioritizing other things, that's why you had effortlessly disregarded your kids' oral hygiene. At least you are one to admit that you were insufficient regarding the matter. Anyway, it's good to know that you made an abrupt action for it and took them to the dentist. Thanks for sharing that, Lauri! May your new found oral hygiene consciousness continue on. All the best to your family!

    Weston Wadlington @ Peak Family Dentistry

    ReplyDelete