Sunday, March 17, 2013

Connor Lately

Connor has had a lot going on in his little world lately, but he is enjoying every minute of it. He LOVES his new school, despite the long daily commute for all of us. Lately his school has hosted many activities that we've enjoyed being a part of.

The first graders recently held a "Reading Restaurant" where they invited parents to come into the classroom, sit down at the kids' desks, and order from a menu. Instead of ordering food, we were able to order books that the kids (the "chefs") would read to us. Such a cute idea! Connor really got into it and I just loved the experience in his classroom.


Connor and his new teacher, Ms. Vaid.

Chef Connor at Reading Restaurant.


Chef Connor and I enjoying the fun event.

Another event that his school recently hosted was the Fund Run which is their annual fundraising event. The kids collect pledges and sponsors for a number of laps that they run during a designated day at school. It was hosted by an outside company and was a really neat event. The teachers and kids alike really got into the fun, and the parents were able to watch as the kids ran to reach their goals. I was able to bring Kaitlynn and Lily (Julie's daughter) with me to cheer Connor on.

And they're off! The kids ran laps outside near the playground.

Connor's cheerleaders: Kaitlynn and Lily.

"Mom, I'm supposed to be running, not taking pictures!"

Happy fund-runner! We were so thankful for the gorgeous weather!

After the race, I took this picture of Connor's t-shirt where they kept track of the laps he ran.

Another cute event that the elementary school hosted recently was Muffins With Mom. It was held on Friday morning before the kids were released for Spring Break. I was super impressed with the incredible turnout of parents -- the gym and cafeteria were packed! We enjoyed a breakfast of donuts and fruit, and then we were able to go outside and enjoy the playground before school started.

Muffins (or technically, donuts) with Mom! 

Happy boy!

Kaitlynn was so happy to attend with us.

Group pic.

After breakfast, the kids loved playing on the school playground.

Sweet siblings.

One more thing about Connor's new school...I had a proud Mommy moment when Connor brought home his first 3 assignments. During our week of "home school" I had been teaching him about nouns and adjectives, neither of which he had covered in his former school. So imagine my delight when Connor came home with these grades on the subjects we had covered at home!

Connor's first 3 quizes at his new school.

Finally... I've been collecting stories from Connor for a while and thought I'd include them here.

One day Connor was asking me why I am so forgetful sometimes. I told him it's because I'm old. He thought about that a little bit and later said, "But Mom, you're not old. You don't have scratches on your face like Dad and Ms. Emswiler (his former teacher)." Ha!

When Connor has a headache, he describes it by saying his head is "beeping."

Connor LOVES playing games. He begs us over and over to play Yahtzee or Uno, and he beats us often. The other day I finally agreed to play Uno with him and he started giggling like a little girl, he gets so giddy and excited! After he beat me for the 2nd time that night, he was reading the Uno card box and noticed that it said for Ages 7 and up. He looked at me in all seriousness and said, "Mom, Uno is supposed to be for ages 7 and up. Do you think I can handle it? Because I'm not 7 yet." Um, yeah buddy, I think you can handle it, LOL!!

This conversation occurred between the kids and me a few months ago:
Me: How about pizza for lunch?
Kaitlynn, in her usual melodramatic fashion: I don't want pizza!
Connor: Kaitlynn, do you want a sandwich instead?
Kaitlynn: No! I want pizza!
Connor, exasperated, to me: She is SUCH a woman.

1 comment:

  1. Girl, the spammers have gotten a hold of your blog comments and have gone crazy!! Yikes!

    Your kids seriously have the coolest activities at their schools. Connor looks like he's on cloud nine to be enrolled in a new school. That. Is. Awesome!

    I can't wait to hear more about the new house. I hope life slows down soon - and that you survive spring. Miss and love you!

    ReplyDelete