Sunday, April 19, 2009

Potty Times

Ah, the joys of potty training. Connor has been "practicing" his potty skills for quite some time now. He's always been pretty good about going #1 in the potty, but only if Jeff or I initiated a trip to the potty. For several weeks now, we've been giving Connor the message that he needed to start wearing big boy underwear after he turns 3 in May. To my delight, he seemed to grasp that concept willingly. Then last week Connor suddenly decided on his own that he wanted to wear big boy undies. He successfully went #2 in the potty that night, so I was more than happy to let him have his underwear.

In the past week, we've had several successes both at home and at Connor's school. But we've also had many accidents. The biggest hurdle is going #2. For some reason Connor has been really hesitant to poop in the potty, despite much encouragement and even many bribes. I've read a lot about this being normal, so I'm trying to back off a bit and let him go when he's ready. In the meantime it's definitely stressful trying to prevent a nasty accident. Luckily we had a really good day today - not a single accident plus 2 poops in the potty! So I'm hopeful that we're on the right track.

Here's Connor showing off his big boy undies and having a sucker after a successful poop in the potty.

5 comments:

  1. I am SO not looking forward to potty training. I was just reading another friend's blog today and she has a boy being potty trained. She says he will go a week without pooping on the potty but will pee just fine. So, you're not alone. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea for Connor! He is doing so well! I'm so proud of him! He is such a big boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo for a good day! Just celebrate and enjoy every success!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet it won't be long at all before he's mastered #1 and #2. He seems to like the evolution of becoming a "big boy," so I think he's going to get it!

    This post gives me a good look at what's ahead. Oh, boy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your posts. You have a great family. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete