Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Vacation Bliss

Jeff and I just returned from our week-long trip to The Bahamas. It was our long overdue honeymoon and 5-year anniversary trip all in one. To say we had a great time is a gross understatement. It was the BEST vacation ever! People keep asking us what we did while we were there and our answer is always the same: NOTHING!! And that, folks, is what a vacation is all about. It was by far the most relaxing and enjoyable vacation I can ever remember!

We took a ton of pictures while we were there, and I couldn't decide which ones to post. So, I decided to post them all! This blog is our family scrapbook so I wanted to make sure and document all the fun we had. We probably won't be taking a vacation like this for another 5 years so we'll always have these pictures and memories to look back on. So here you go, our vacation bliss in photos and captions.

First picture of the trip: Me at the airport Pappasitos restaurant enjoying a breakfast taco and a large Coke. This was photo-worthy because it was my first official day of my diet "break" and I was in heaven eating carbs again. Notice the huge smile.



After we arrived at our resort, Jeff and I posed in front of some of the resort views.




This was our first of many pictures together at our resort. The grounds were beautifully landscaped with tropical plants and flowers.



The resort had a private island that you could only access by a 5-minute boat ride. We spent our first couple days at the island enjoying the restaurant, beach, pool, swim-up bar, and outdoor spa.







In this picture, Jeff is standing on the edge of the island with our main resort grounds off in the distance. It was really neat being at the island -- kind of like a secluded little getaway away from everything else.



On our first day at the island, Jeff noticed that the swim-up bar had a posted list of their speciality drinks. He decided he was going to drink the entire list in 1 day, which was 11 different drinks. Needless to say, he was done for the day.



Each morning before breakfast, Jeff and I went to the fitness center to work out in hopes of minimizing the damage on the scale. I am not someone who typically enjoys treadmills or gyms, but who wouldn't love this view??



Each night during our stay, we had reservations at a different restaurant at the resort. It was fun to try different foods, as well as dressing up a little after hanging out in our swimsuits all day. I always made Jeff take our picture so I could have one in all my different outfits. :-)







Before our trip, when I told people that we were going to The Bahamas they would immediately ask, "Oh, are you staying at the Atlantis?" I had never even heard of the Atlantis before, but it is this HUGE resort in The Bahamas on a private island with an enormous waterpark and tons of other amenities. Jeff and I decided to take a day trip to the Atlantis to see what all the fuss was about. It was really nice, but it was PACKED with families, teenagers, and kids. After being at our quiet couples-only resort, we weren't too fond of the crowds and kids. We enjoyed seeing the Atlantis and surrounding area, but we were happy to get back to our hotel!





Another day, Jeff and I took a city bus into the downtown market area. They had rows and rows of local merchants selling all kinds of homemade crafts.




Despite the daily exercise, I gained about 10 pounds during our week away. No joke. I was eating everything in sight, especially desserts. On most nights, I ate enough dessert for both of us. I was busting out of my clothes, but it was so yummy!!



On our last night, we took the boat back to the private island for a romantic dinner at the restaurant there. We walked the beach and just tried to savor our last evening with each other and the incredible views. It was such an amazing vacation, I think we pinched ourselves the entire time we were there to make sure we weren't dreaming!


6 comments:

  1. and i thought we delayed our honeymoon by waiting 5 months! hee hee! glad you had a great time -- and i agree -- vacation is about doing NOTHING.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauri, this looks like HEAVEN!! Soooo beautiful and y'all look like you were having such a good time. This was a well deserved break! You look beautiful by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, you look like a million bucks! I'm so glad that the vacation you couldn't stand to think about, turned out to be the vacation of a lifetime. It looks absolutely beautiful. And I'm glad you took advantage of all the great food - that's part of the fun of vacation. =) Welcome back home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One word...HEAVENLY!!! That looks like a 5 star vacation to me! You both look so relaxed, so refreshed and oh so happy! I'm so glad you guys were able to get away and enjoy a great week together!

    And to top it off, you look amazing! I loved all of your cute summer dresses, your hair color and different styles. Looks like someone did a little shopping! :)

    I loved all the pictures and I'm so glad you guys had such a great time. Oh how I dream about when Jim and I can take a vacation like this again! One day, one day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im so jealous! It looks like you had a great time though...you deserved a diet break, youve done so great. :) Thanks for sharing all the pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE all of the vacation pictures. You guys look so happy and relaxed. Is that what happens when you are kid free for a few days??? I am SO in need of that. haha!

    You picked out some great dresses and outfits for your vacation. I am so glad you guys had the opportunity to take a belated honeymoon! I'm also glad you took advantage of the yummy food while you were there.

    Glad you made it back home safely!

    ReplyDelete